Congrats Family Fellowship Scholar Taylor
We are extremely proud of our Family Fellowship Scholar Taylor! This spring she graduates from the University of California Irvine with a degree in Biology. Taylor is a recipient of our first Family Fellowship cohort.
The Family Fellowship is the largest scholarship program for current and former foster youth in America. It was created to help support foster youth by creating familiar bonds, in addition to a monetary sponsorship.
Taylor is now part of the 3% of former foster youth with a college degree.
Who is Taylor
Taylor is from all over California. She loves hiking, nature, animals, painting, baking, and binging Netflix. Similarly, 70% of kids in foster care want to attend college. When asked why she chose to pursue college, Taylor responded, “To me, education has been my outlet and passion. I cannot imagine a time where I am not learning… (and) am always looking up research articles or new things. I think there is so much information out there, it would be a shame to try not to learn all I can.”
How has the Family Fellowship Helped
Unlike many scholarship programs, our Family Fellowship provides mentorship and guidance. When asked how the Family Fellowship impacted her collegiate experience Taylor stated,
“They’ve helped to keep me motivated. I think sometimes it is hard to push on when you doubt yourself and having someone else also believe in you gives more liability. I feel as though I need to finish my homework or my projects even when I’m not motivating myself but TWR and The Smiths put so much time and kindness in, that I owe it to them.”
Advice for Other Youth in Foster Care Who Want To Attend College
- Former Foster Youth Shares Her Experience as a Teen in Foster Care
- Former Foster Youth Finds A Kidney Donor In New Mom
- What Happens When Kids in Foster Care Turn 18?
- Our Friends at Sticker Mule
- 12 Years of Helping Kids in Care
- 15 Things You Should Know Before Fostering
- 7 Ways to Give Back to the Community
- Myths About Adoption & Foster Care
- How To Become a Foster Parent - The 5 Step Guide
- Disney Days at Walt Disney World Blog