Foster Care Organization Together We Rise Founder Receives Jefferson Award
ABC7 honored Danny Mendoza, the founder of the foster care organization Together We Rise, along with four other honorees with the Jefferson Award for Public Service on April 25, 2012, at the ABC7 headquarters in Glendale, CA. The Jefferson award recognizes individuals who contribute their works to public and community services. Danny received the local award for Los Angeles thanks to his work in improving the lives of foster youth.
Danny was honored with this award because of the change he has created in the foster care system. His mission is to bring a sense of normalcy and belonging to children in foster care. In doing so, he has encouraged many young adults to volunteer with Together We Rise to give back to their communities. ABC7 interviewed Danny at McKinley Children’s Center on April 14 after enjoying a fun day of dodgeball with the kids. The interview aired on ABC7’s Eyewitness News on Sunday, April 22. Check it out here.
If you’re interested in participating in volunteer opportunities to support your local community while helping out kids in foster care, feel free to visit https://www.togetherwerise.org/volunteer-opportunities/
- Former Foster Youth Shares Her Experience as a Teen in Foster Care
- Former Foster Youth Finds A Kidney Donor In New Mom
- What Happens When Kids in Foster Care Turn 18?
- Our Friends at Sticker Mule
- Helping Children in Care…Because They Matter
- 7 Ways to Give Back to the Community
- Sweet Case 101
- Myths About Adoption & Foster Care
- How To Become a Foster Parent - The 5 Step Guide
- Disney Days at Walt Disney World Blog